Renaud and Adrian explore how Apple built a successful Chinese supply chain, how they control bringing new products to market, and whether its ‘reliance’ on China might be a double-edged sword. Their ‘best practices’ could benefit SMEs who are also developing and manufacturing new products in China and Asia, so let’s see how Apple gets it right.
Listen: to the podcast episode
Watch: on Youtube
- 00:00 – Greetings.
- 01:20 – The topic: A focus on Apple. How they built a successful supply chain in China, and whether are they too reliant on China now.
- 04:00 – “I want to make a product with Apple’s quality and design.” Realistic?
- 08:06 – Finding new suppliers to keep the pressure on their supply chain and get the best deal possible.
- 11:26 – Apple has 15k of their own staff in China. What does this mean?
- 17:47 – Apple may not own the factories, but they do own a lot of the equipment. Why?
- 23:32 – They get sub-suppliers to commit to building custom parts just for Apple in large quantities.
- 27:27 – The benefits of using CMs like Foxconn.
- 29:29 – Giving away too much control and technical know-how is not the Apple way.
- 35:27 – Apple’s attempts to diversify supply chains into Vietnam and India.
- 40:07 – Will/should they leave China entirely?
- 49:48 – Wrapping up.
- Article 1: How Apple tied its fortunes to China
- Article 2: What it would take for Apple to disentangle itself from China
- Further confirmation that India’s exports to North America are booming
- ”Enterprise China” – China’s Strategy for Economic Success (Author Interview with Drs. Allen J. Morrison & J. Stewart Black)
- Can We Remove China From Our Supply Chains? [Podcast]
- How Sourcing From India Has Changed In 2022 (Part 1: Trends & Manufacturing Landscape)
- Globalism 2.0: North American Importers To Move Supply Chains Out Of China Soon? [Podcast]
- How to Manage the NPI Process based on your Manufacturer’s Ability [Video]
Listen, rate, & subscribe to the ‘China Manufacturing Decoded’ podcast on your favorite provider
More episodes are coming, so remember to rate us and subscribe! You can find us on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Podcasts
- Listen Notes
- Podcast Addict
- The podcast’s website at China Manufacturing Decoded
If you enjoyed this episode, don’t forget to give us a 5* rating and share it with your network if you enjoy listening!