Many business decisions are taken on the basis of a sample received from a manufacturer. However, you may not have the manpower, expertise, or equipment to evaluate those samples when it comes to aesthetics, performance, construction, etc.
Similarly, you may get 3 or more sets of samples from your suppliers (commercial sample, golden sample, early production sample…). They might differ, and detecting those differences quickly is quite important for avoiding problems in production later.
Our experienced product engineering team can take care of the evaluation & comparison for you to help assure there won’t be production issues later.
It really depends on your needs. We can check samples from a user’s point of view (aesthetics & functionality) or in a more in-depth manner.
The point is to save you time and money, without the need to send many samples back and forth from China/Vietnam to your office.
Sometimes we conduct a simple inspection covering these points:
- Basic functions as per the user manual
- Very basic safety, if applicable
- General look and feel
- Size, weight
In some other cases, we work on other aspects, including:
- Listing and analysis of the components and/or the internal workmanship
- Reliability testing (e.g. high/low temperature & humidity, vibrations, simulation of the user’s actions over a long period)
We were asked if we could evaluate the grit of an abrasive rotating disc, for an objective comparison of samples from different suppliers. The client’s goal was for the product from the new supplier to be very similar to that of the old supplier.
The manufacturer sends us different samples at different stages, and those samples should all be very similar in the way they look, feel, and work. The samples might be:
- Commercial sample (before any order is issued)
- Pre-production sample
- During production sample
- Pre-shipment sample
We need to know your concerns and/or your objectives, and we will suggest an appropriate approach.
You can start by leaving a note with some of this info when you contact us for a quotation.
A report with our findings.
Here’s an example of the checklist we follow (which is, of course, very dependent on the type of product):
And here’s the final report summary:
Note that, in some cases, the samples will be disassembled and may not be fit for further usage.
How much does sample evaluation and comparison cost?
- For simple products: 99 USD for up to 3 samples of 1 type, and an extra 30 USD per extra sample to evaluate/compare.
- For non-simple products: to be quoted based on the time it will take.
- If we also do an inspection on that exact same product, a rebate may apply on the corresponding inspection.*
*To be confirmed based on the situation.