British product designer Andy Bartlett joins Adrian from the team for an interesting episode about all things industrial design.
Andy shares some great information and advice for people starting out in industrial design and entrepreneurs and businesses who’re looking to work with a designer to expand on their product concept and create a manufacturing-ready product design.
You’ll learn what ID is to a designer, the best practices they follow, tools used and processes followed, how to work with them efficiently, and much more.
Watch on Youtube
- 00:00 – Greetings
- 00:59 – Today’s topic
- 1:10 – Andy introduces himself and his experience as a product designer
- 02:16 – What is industrial design?
- 04:56 – When can/should you engage an industrial designer?
- 07:13 – What tools & processes will industrial designers use?
- 11:34 – Can you go into prototyping before finishing 3D designs?
- 13:24 – CMF: Color, Material, and Finishes
- 17:22 – Is it beneficial for industrial designers to specialize in one product type or have a broader experience?
- 19:14 – Why compromise is a useful skill for designers
- 21:11 – What information do industrial designers need from their clients at the start of an engagement and how to manage the customer’s requirements?
- 28:57 – Tips about being a part of a multinational project (customer in one country, designer in another, production supplier in Asia)
- 33:33 – Wrapping up
- Why You Need Mature Product Designs BEFORE Working With A Chinese Manufacturer!
- Why Product Reliability Testing Is A MUST During Product Design [Podcast]
- A Product Designer’s Tips For New Product Launches
- How Bad Product Design Leads to Many Quality Issues
- Is Your New Product Design Ready for Manufacturing in China? [5 Questions]
- Get help from Sofeast with a QSA (Quality System Audit) of your supplier
Listen, rate, & subscribe to the ‘China Manufacturing Decoded’ podcast on your favorite provider
There are more episodes to come, so remember to rate us and subscribe! You can find us on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Podcasts
- Listen Notes
- Podcast Addict
- The podcast’s website at China Manufacturing Decoded
If you enjoyed this episode, don’t forget to give us a 5* rating and share it with your network if you enjoy listening!