Sofeast’s CEO Renaud explains why sourcing parts from Taobao is too risky, joined by Adrian from the team.
When developing new products in China it’s easy to buy parts quickly and at a low price from Taobao, and that’s OK for a rough proof-of-concept prototype. But if these parts make it onto your final BOM you’re opening yourself up to serious quality, reliability, safety, and compliance risks, that could kill your product.
Watch: Video on YouTube
- 00:00 – Greetings + why not to take checked baggage on flights within Europe + the UK’s 2-day heatwave 😂
- 01:59 – Today’s topic: Why not to buy parts from Taobao to use in mass production?
- 02:40 – What is Taobao?
- 10:36 – Scams and other issues on Taobao.
- 11:32 – Why buying parts from Taobao for use in early proof-of-concept prototypes is fine.
- 13:00 – More advanced prototypes and mass production are not the same as proof-of-concept.
- 15:55 – 5 reasons why using Taobao parts for mass production is not a good idea.
- 27:06 – Could your IP be at risk when dealing with Taobao vendors, and will you get the best price?
- 28:29 – You can’t really pay and get an invoice (fapiao) that is needed for business purchases.
- 30:58 – The lack of transparency and control.
- 32:06 – Wrap-up.
- If you really want to check out Taobao, visit their site here (just don’t buy production parts!)
- Get help from Sofeast to source great suppliers and benefit from more stability and better prices.
- Read our 80+ page eBook: Ultimate Guide To Sourcing From China And Developing Your Suppliers
- Learn how to source your own suppliers in China by listening to our DIY Sourcing from China Series
- Does your China factory sell your products on Taobao.com?
- How to complain about counterfeit/fakes on Taobao
Listen, rate, & subscribe to the ‘China Manufacturing Decoded’ podcast on your favorite provider
There are more episodes to come, so remember to rate us and subscribe! You can find us on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Podcasts
- Listen Notes
- Podcast Addict
- The podcast’s website at China Manufacturing Decoded
If you enjoyed this episode, don’t forget to give us a 5* rating and share it with your network if you enjoy listening!