Sofeast’s CEO Renaud Anjoran is joined by two guests, Clive Greenwood and Andrew Wilson of WWMG associates to discuss the topic of liability for product safety issues. There’s commonly a disconnect between Chinese manufacturers and their foreign customers over who is liable for any problems, such as consumer injury, caused by the products that they worked on. It depends on a number of things, such as who has the design authority and who issues the design specifications, etc.
If you are importing products you really need to have a handle on liability, as the consequences could be extremely costly and uncomfortable.
The panel aim to get to the bottom of it here…
Watch: Watch it on YouTube
- 00:00 – Introduction.
- 01:26 – When an American company, for example, works with a Chinese manufacturer to develop a new product, what do they expect the manufacturer to tell them?
- 05:00 – Product liability laws in the US & EU.
- 07:53 – How ‘design authority’ can be used to attribute liability.
- 12:09 – Post-DFMEA liability.
- 15:43 – Why letting your Chinese manufacturer ‘help’ develop a product could be a big mistake.
- 21:13 – Compliance for medical devices/products.
- 24:01 – Action items for companies who’re designing a general consumer product to be manufactured in China.
- 31:58 – Product safety. What do we need to consider?
- 38:29 – Conclusion.
- 40:49 – Wrapping up.
- Product Design Reliability Drives User Safety
- Why Product Safety, Quality, and Reliability Are Tightly Linked
- Buyers of Masks and other PPE: Are You Exposed to Serious Liability?
- Would Liability Insurance Protect You when Buying Product from China?
- If The EU MDR Is Product Compliance’s Future – Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid! [Podcast]
- What Is Compliance Testing? [Podcast]
- 11 Common Electronic Product Certification And Compliance Requirements
- IP Protection in China when Developing Your New Product [Importer’s Guide]
- EU MDR Compliance When Developing A New Medical Device: High-Level Steps [Guide]
- Guide to vetting Chinese suppliers [Podcast series]
Listen, rate, & subscribe to the ‘China Manufacturing Decoded’ podcast on your favorite provider
There are more episodes to come, so remember to rate us and subscribe! You can find us on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Podcasts
- Listen Notes
- Podcast Addict
- The podcast’s website at China Manufacturing Decoded
If you enjoyed this episode, don’t forget to give us a 5* rating and share it with your network if you enjoy listening!