Renaud explores some of the key situations where your product IP can be at risk by copycats, especially if you have a new, innovative, and/or popular product.
In this episode, he explains when IP can be at risk, who might try to copy your product, and what you can do to fight back and protect your intellectual property!
Watch: Watch it on YouTube
- 00:00 – Greetings & introduction
- 00:58 – A chat about rising covid infections in China and what it might mean
- 05:37 – Today’s topic – sources of risks to your product IP when developing and manufacturing it in China. This is based on our new guide: IP Protection in China when Developing Your New Product [Importer’s Guide].
- 06:36 – What kinds of products are most at risk of having their IP compromised and misused?
- 09:33 – What are the main risks to someone who’s developing and manufacturing a new product? There are 4 situations to be aware of:
– Being copied early from within your supply chain
– Being copied early from outside of your supply chain
– Being copied later from within your supply chain
– Being copied later from outside of your supply chain
- 12:30 – (1). Who’s at risk of copying us early from within our supply chain and what can be done to avoid it?
- 19:28 – Compartmentalizing the supply chain.
- 21:07 – Legal tools to prevent or mitigate being copied.
- 23:18 – (2). Who’s at risk of copying us early from outside of our supply chain and what can be done to avoid it?
- 28:45 – Why copycat products can be made by companies anywhere, not just in China.
- 31:05 – The difference between copying a product idea and counterfeiting one.
- 34:01 – (3). Who’s at risk of copying us later on from within our supply chain and what can be done to avoid it?
- 38:16 – (4). Who’s at risk of copying us later on from outside of our supply chain and what can be done to avoid it?
- 41:27 – Patents as protection.
- 41:55 – Wrapping up
- IP Protection in China when Developing Your New Product [Importer’s Guide]
- Can Getting To Market First Stop Copycats? [Podcast]
- IP Infringement In China. What To Do If You’re A Victim?
- Why The New Product Design & Introduction Process Is More Complex Than You May Think [Podcast]
- How To Reduce Risks As Your Order Sizes Grow When Working With Chinese Manufacturers?
- Chinese Copycats: A Real Problem For Entrepreneurs?
- Will A China NNN Agreement Protect Us If We Start Assembling Products There?
Listen, rate, & subscribe to the ‘China Manufacturing Decoded’ podcast on your favorite provider
There are more episodes to come, so remember to rate us and subscribe! You can find us on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Podcasts
- Listen Notes
- Podcast Addict
- The podcast’s website at China Manufacturing Decoded
If you enjoyed this episode, don’t forget to give us a 5* rating and share it with your network if you enjoy listening!