A recent China Law Blog article outlined why getting to market first with your new product isn’t great protection against copycats these days, especially if corners have been cut in the name of speed.
Some entrepreneurs believe that skipping IP protection and launching quickly will mean copycats can’t copy them quickly enough before they’ve built their brand and made plenty of sales and if there are IP infringement issues they can handle them later.
Sofeast’s CEO Renaud Anjoran will explain why this isn’t the case in this episode. You’ll learn who is waiting to copy your idea, the benefits and drawbacks of getting lots of press for your new product, steps you should take to protect IP, and more…
Watch: Watch on YouTube
- 00:00 – Introduction.
- 00:31 – Current China/Hong Kong Covid-19 situation, quarantine, and visas.
- 05:41 – What is the ‘First To Market Argument?’
- 11:20 – Is being first to market always beneficial?
- 12:21 – The importance of strong IP protection.
- 13:40 – Does it make sense for low profile products to get to market quickly and deal with IP protection later? (This concept was discussed in episode 71 by Renaud and Andy Bartlett).
- 18:55 – What should higher profile product launches do?
- 21:07 – The 2 main IP infringement risks you face:
- Your own manufacturer will copy your product and place it on the market first before you.
- Copycat companies will notice your product’s signs of success and market traction and copy you.
- 28:06 – Why creating a lot of buzz about your new product before it goes to market can be dangerous.
- 35:48 – How to combat being copied?
- 38:41 – Wrapping up.
- Why the new product development process is more complex than you may think [Podcast]
- Read various blog posts about IP protection on Sofeast.com
- China Manufacturing and the First to Market Fallacy [on China Law Blog]
- Are Shenzhen Manufacturers Innovators or Copycats?
- Making a hard-to-copy product in China
- New Product Launch: Taking Shortcuts vs. Preventing Risks
- How & why to create a valid China manufacturing contract [Podcast]
Listen, rate, & subscribe to the ‘China Manufacturing Decoded’ podcast on your favorite provider
There are more episodes to come, so remember to rate us and subscribe! You can find us on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Listen Notes
- Podcast Addict
- The podcast’s website at China Manufacturing Decoded
If you enjoyed this episode, don’t forget to give us a 5* rating and share it with your network if you enjoy listening!