In this episode, our CEO Renaud tackles the difficult topic of the war in Ukraine with Adrian from the team.
Aside from the terrible and upsetting toll that this war is taking on the people of Ukraine, could its effects be even wider? Will the war negatively affect supply chains around the world? How about in China, specifically?
We’ve seen how quickly sanctions have levelled Russia’s economy. Renaud also wonders if this could be a portent of what might occur in a future decoupling from China, too.
If you’re concerned about the disruption of supply, diversifying supply chains could help mitigate the effects of events like wars. The episode closes with some guidance on reducing supply chain risks and diversifying.
Watch on Youtube
- 00:00 – Greetings & introduction.
- 01:15 – Some thoughts about the war in Ukraine.
- 04:26 – The speed of Western sanctions against Russia and their effects.
- 07:57 – Will sanctions on Russia affect China?
- 10:34 – Logistics costs.
- 12:28 – Could the decoupling happening to Russia happen to China, too?
- 17:24 – Is the risk of a sudden decoupling from China higher or lower now?
- 20:29 – What can be done to reduce supply chain risks in this time of instability?
- 25:06 – Wrapping up.
- Ukrainian invasions adds to chaos for global supply chains
- A Guide to Fast-Moving Russian Sanctions and Export Controls
- You may check up-to-date information on the war in Ukraine on Reuters
- Supply Chain Risk Reduction Strategies [Presentation]
- Supply Chain Risk Management, Part 1: What are VUCA and Black Swans?
- Supply Chain Risk Management, Part 2: The Business Continuity Plan
- Supply Chain Risk Management, Part 3: A Purchaser Supply Chain KPI Scorecard’s Benefits
- Supply Chain Risk Management, Part 4: How Much Inventory Do You Need?
- Supply Chain Risk Management, Part 5: Moving Manufacturing to Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, or India (Pros & Cons)
Listen, rate, & subscribe to the ‘China Manufacturing Decoded’ podcast on your favorite provider
There are more episodes to come, so remember to rate us and subscribe! You can find us on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Podcasts
- Listen Notes
- Podcast Addict
- The podcast’s website at China Manufacturing Decoded
If you enjoyed this episode, don’t forget to give us a 5* rating and share it with your network if you enjoy listening!