Renaud shares five helpful tips for importers who are developing and manufacturing products in Asia on how to protect your precious product idea and supply chain information (intellectual property) and guard your business against being taken advantage of, especially in countries like China, India, and Vietnam.
This is a regular question from our clients here at Sofeast, so, hopefully, these tips will help clarify some things for you, too.
Listen: to the podcast episode
Watch: on Youtube
- 00:24 – Today’s topic: Protecting IP and yourself when manufacturing in Asia.
- 03:26 – 1. Don’t let worries about being copied consume you and put you off from manufacturing in China.
- 10:59 – 2. Don’t immediately take what IP and patent lawyers say at face value.
- 11:55 – Doing market research and raising funds the smart/safe way.
- 21:18 – 3. Don’t get bogged down with questions about IP rights from investors.
- 23:46 – When to register trademarks?
- 24:29 – 4. DON’T add a category to your product name.
- 27:11 – 5. Use the right agreements.
- 34:03 – How the right agreements can help with supply chain transparency and protecting your business.
- IP Protection in China when Developing Your New Product [Importer’s Guide]
- How To Create A Valid Manufacturing Contract In China To Protect Your IP
- Will A China NNN Agreement Protect Us If We Start Assembling Products There?
- Chinese Copycats: A Real Problem For Entrepreneurs?
- Exploring Product Development Agreements For Importers [Podcast]
- Correctly Using A Non Disclosure Non Use Non Circumvention Agreement [Podcast]
- How To Get Transparency And Control Over Your Supply Chain? [podcast]
- My Supplier Won’t Provide Important Supply Chain Information!
Here at Sofeast, we are not lawyers. What we discussed above is based only on our understanding of the legal requirements. We do not present this information as a basis for you to make decisions, and we do not accept any liability if you do so. Consider consulting a lawyer before making legal decisions.
Listen, rate, & subscribe to the ‘China Manufacturing Decoded’ podcast on your favorite provider
More episodes are coming, so remember to rate us and subscribe! You can find us on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Podcasts
- Listen Notes
- Podcast Addict
- The podcast’s website at China Manufacturing Decoded
If you enjoyed this episode, don’t forget to give us a 5* rating and share it with your network if you enjoy listening!