This is a crucial listen to anyone currently importing products into the EU! The new EU Ecodesign for Sustainable Products Regulation is coming soon, meaning that you will be legally obliged to comply with its demands for more sustainable products, a transparent supply chain, and clear control over how environmentally friendly the production of your materials, components, and products are!
If that sounds like a lot of information to obtain and, potentially, changes to your product design and suppliers, that’s probably because it is in many cases!
In part 1 on this topic, we discussed what the regulation is: The EU Ecodesign Regulation Is Coming, But Are You Prepared? [Podcast part1]
Watch: on Youtube
- 00:00 – Greetings & Introduction to today’s topic: EU Ecodesign Regulation.
- 02:26 – Why is product design important?
- 08:07 – The role of ‘Repairability’ and ‘Maintainability.’
- 10:12 – The need to document your approach.
- 12:03 – How product designs will need to change according to the EU ESPR proposal [quotes].
- 18:38 – Addressing ‘Greenwashing.’
- 20:47 – Postmarket surveillance.
- 25:01 – Calculating energy consumption throughout the product lifecycle.
- 30:11 – Supply chain information will be transparent – suppliers who are more sustainable will be preferred.
- 34:37 – The example of garments and their supply chain.
- 37:58 – Detailed traceability & visibility over the supply chain – requirements.
- 43:18 – ESPR will evolve over time and cause headaches for importers…
- 46:23 – The key data you need to start collecting NOW.
- 48:13 – Will ESPR negatively impact SMEs more than large businesses?
- 52:36 – You have been warned!
We’ve created some great resources on this topic – read them and get help here:
- What is the EU Ecodesign for Sustainable Products Regulation? – long guide from Sofeast
- The EU Ecodesign Regulation Is Coming, But Are You Prepared? (Part 1)
- We support clients to comply with ESPR, too, so if you’re stuck or concerned Sofeast’s experts can help you get control of your supply chain and become more sustainable
- REGULATION OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL
(establishing a framework for setting ecodesign requirements for sustainable products
and repealing Directive 2009/125/EC) – if you want to read the forthcoming regulation in full.
- Ecodesign for sustainable products
- What is the EU Corporate Sustainability Reporting Directive (CSRD)?
- Sofeast can help you do a full background check on new (or existing) suppliers in Asia
- We can also source suppliers who provide transparent supply chain information to help you comply with EU demands
Listen, rate, & subscribe to the ‘China Manufacturing Decoded’ podcast on your favorite provider
There are more episodes to come, so remember to rate us and subscribe! You can find us on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Podcasts
- Listen Notes
- Podcast Addict
- The podcast’s website at China Manufacturing Decoded
If you enjoyed this episode, don’t forget to give us a 5* rating and share it with your network if you enjoy listening!