The Sofeast Group’s head of New Product Development, Andrew Amirnovin, is back on the podcast with Adrian from the team talking about the DVT and PVT phases during new product introduction.
A recent news story about the electronics giant Philips having to do a huge recall of ventilators and sleep apnea machines that have, unfortunately, caused deaths and injuries, spur the two to discuss the risks importers face if important steps are missed during the DVT (and PVT) phase of the NPI process.
What could have caused such a problem to make it into the production of such sensitive medical devices, and what can we learn from this example?
Issues like this probably originate in the DVT stage of the NPI process, so let’s examine the steps and testing to be followed, why they’re necessary for a successful new product launch, and how DVT issues spill over into PVT and then into mass production, too.
Suppose you’re bringing a new product to market. In that case, this story demonstrates why following a detailed new product introduction process that pulls out all the stops to find potential risks before production can start is crucial for manufacturing safe, high-quality, and reliable products.
Watch: Video on YouTube
- 00:00 – Greetings, introducing the topic: DVT & PVT, and activities during each NPI phase that are important to bring a successful product to market.
- 01:44 – What do the acronyms EVT/DVT/PVT mean?
- 04:42 – The risks of rushing into production without completing DVT thoroughly.
- 07:43 – The huge Philips medical device recall happening in Summer ’22.
- 11:58 – What happens during DVT to help us avoid product risks and recalls?
- 16:39 – The need for a solid reliability growth plan.
- 19:44 – The temptation to rush into production and miss DVT steps.
- 27:25 – What a reliability engineer looks out for when devising the reliability test plan and use cases.
- 31:42 – What is PVT and why can it also cause a lot of product issues after production if steps are missed?
- 40:19 – Wrap up.
- Philips parts ways with CEO in midst of massive recall
- Philips recalls ventilators, sleep apnea machines due to health risks
- Listen to The NPI Process: Trouble Awaits If You Skip Its Steps!
- Watch a number of videos we created about the NPI process
- You NEED to do product qualification BEFORE mass production!
- The NPI Process You Need To Follow For Successful Manufacturing
- Get help from Sofeast to devise and implement your reliability and durability testing and to help bring your new product to market using our tried-and-tested NPI process
Listen, rate, & subscribe to the ‘China Manufacturing Decoded’ podcast on your favorite provider
There are more episodes to come, so remember to rate us and subscribe! You can find us on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Podcasts
- Listen Notes
- Podcast Addict
- The podcast’s website at China Manufacturing Decoded
If you enjoyed this episode, don’t forget to give us a 5* rating and share it with your network if you enjoy listening!