Renaud and Adrian discuss ‘Cradle to Cradle’ product design.
Sustainable products are gaining in popularity thanks to consumers becoming more environmentally conscious, climate change being more obvious, and resources becoming scarcer and more expensive.
Products that are designed to become waste and just be disposed of at the end of their lifetimes, often ending up in landfills and polluting the environment, are not the way forward. Two industrial designers developed Cradle to Cradle which is a design ethos that prioritizes products NOT becoming waste after their use, using sustainable materials, being reusable or recyclable for new products, being biodegradable, focusing on using renewable energy, reducing water and air pollution, and using ethical employment practices.
If you’re interested in becoming a greener brand, C2C products could be right for you.
First, though, as the Covid situation in China becomes more serious, we begin by talking about what disruption the virus could cause…
Watch on Youtube
- 00:00 – Greetings & introduction to the topic.
- 01:47 – The Covid situation in China and Hong kong.
- 07:45 – How we got from unsustainable (take/make/waste) to more sustainable (cradle to grave) manufacturing.
- 15:08 – The move to fully sustainable (cradle to cradle) manufacturing due to the failure of recycling to be sustainable.
- 20:22 – Key features of the C2C ethos.
- 25:18 – How much can manufacturers do to increase their use of renewable energy?
- 27:20 – C2C certification.
- 33:54 – C2C product examples.
- 36:55 – What do product designers need to keep in mind when designing a C2C product?
- 41:15 – Benefits of C2C.
- 44:55 – Drawbacks of C2C.
- 49:16 – How Sofeast can help your businesses become more sustainable.
- 53:22 – Wrapping up.
- 15 Key Eco Certifications For Green Manufacturers
- Minimizing a Product’s ‘Cradle to Grave’ Environmental Impact
- Designing New Products With A Cradle To Cradle Cycle In Mind
- How To Get the Cradle To Cradle Certification for Your New Product?
- Sofeast Oil Based Plastic Alternatives whitepaper
- The Benefits Of Silicone As A Production Material And How It Compares To Common Plastics
- What Items Are Recyclable?
- What does biodegradable mean in the context of manufacturing?
- Sustainable Manufacturing
- What Does ‘Eco-Friendly’ Mean?
- What does compostable mean in relation to manufacturing and packaging materials?
- What Is Recommerce?
- 9 Types of Packaging (Benefits, Costs, Sustainability, and more)
- Advantages of Bioplastics vs. Disadvantages: Memo for Product Designers
- 7 Negative Effects Of PVC And Other Environmentally Harmful Plastics
- How Can Poor Quality & Reliability Products Affect Your Business? [Podcast]
- C2C product certification – official site
Listen, rate, & subscribe to the ‘China Manufacturing Decoded’ podcast on your favorite provider
There are more episodes to come, so remember to rate us and subscribe! You can find us on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Podcasts
- Listen Notes
- Podcast Addict
- The podcast’s website at China Manufacturing Decoded
If you enjoyed this episode, don’t forget to give us a 5* rating and share it with your network if you enjoy listening!