Renaud discusses why some foreign buyers bend too far at the cost of protecting their own business with Chinese manufacturers in order to be a good ‘partner.’ Here’s why this is a misguided intention, and some advice on what you can do to actually build a good and secure medium to long-term relationship.
Listen to the episode here 👇
Listen: to the podcast episode
Watch: on Youtube
- 00:00 – Introduction.
- 01:22 – Why some buyers are attracted to ‘partnering up’ and what it really means.
- 05:18 – What is the basis for a good partnership that really makes sense for buyers who develop their own products?
- 08:24 – How about the relationship for buyers purchasing existing products from an ODM?
- 13:33 – Why there is an unspoken assumption by Chinese ODM suppliers that if they do you a favor, you will owe them one back.
- 15:57 – Leaving things open because you want a good partnership with a supplier and don’t want to upset them by enforcing a contract is a recipe for trouble.
- 22:31 – Activities you can take as a buyer that will actually help to build a good relationship with your supplier.
- 31:02 – Be aware of your track record with suppliers, because word spreads.
- 35:00 – Wrapping up.
- Negotiating terms, leverage over suppliers, and describing your needs
- Responsible & Sustainable Purchasing Practices in Focus
- Vetting Chinese suppliers (Podcast series)
- Kraljic Matrix: Sourcing a Strategic Supplier – Are YOU a Good Fit for THEM?
- Learn how to create a valid manufacturing contract in China
- OEM, ODM, Contract Manufacturers: Choose your China Supplier Wisely
- Responsible purchasing practices
Listen, rate, & subscribe to the ‘China Manufacturing Decoded’ podcast on your favorite provider
More episodes are coming, so remember to rate us and subscribe! You can find us on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Podcasts
- Listen Notes
- Podcast Addict
- The podcast’s website at China Manufacturing Decoded
If you enjoyed this episode, don’t forget to give us a 5* rating and share it with your network if you enjoy listening!