We have finally reached the end of our mini-series of episodes on how to do your own sourcing from China! Renaud has been taking you through the sourcing process, from getting started by finding suitable suppliers all the way through to working with them more effectively. The final topic? How to keep suppliers’ costs under control.
After all, if they’re paying more for materials, components, and due to waste, you can bet they’re going to pass them onto you, too. We’ll look at adjusting their supply chain, manufacturing, and office processes to cut costs where they commonly occur.
By the way, this is part 9 of this mini-series, and if you want to go back and listen to every earlier part of this series follow the links below.
- 00:00 – Greetings
- 00:58 – Brief recap of last week’s episode about the EU Ecodesign regulation
You can listen to both parts on this topic here (Part 1) and here (Part 2).
- 04:31 – Why should we be concerned about our suppliers’ costs?
- 07:45 – Who may be able to influence their supplier to undertake work to take control of costs.
- 10:28 – Using sourcing as a tool to control costs.
How factory owners or key customers can get their/their supplier’s costs under control?
- 12:48 – 1. You find out what is driving their costs by visiting.
- 15:47 – 2. Stop buying in large quantities and making large batches.
- 21:39 – How to make suggestions to the supplier that they will listen to.
- 26:34 – 3. Tackle manufacturing aspects that are hidden costs.
- 29:21 – 4. Find hidden office costs.
- 35:11 – How does India differ from China?
- 36:44 – Summarising keeping costs under control.
- 38:11 – Mini-series wrap-up.
- Part 1: Good Fit, Sourcing, Vetting, & Backups [Podcast]
- Part 2: Negotiations, Terms, Leverage, & Quality Standards [Podcast]
- Part 3: Project Management & Checking Quality Early [Podcast]
- Part 4: Final Inspections [Podcast]
- Part 5: Building Rapport [Podcast]
- Part 6: Hands-on or hands-off buyer? [Podcast]
- Part 7: How To Develop Your Chinese Supplier? [Podcast]
- Part 8: How To Improve Quality From Your Supplier? [Podcast]
- Quality Assurance In China Or Vietnam For Beginners [eBook] 👈 Download for free
- How Can Poor Quality & Reliability Products Affect Your Business? [Podcast]
- The Sofeast group’s own contract manufacturing subsidiary: Agilian Technology
These resources will also help you understand how to build relationships with suppliers or improve (or end) those that you already have:
- Get help to find a good manufacturer in China with this free eBook
- When a relationship turns sour with a Chinese supplier
And, if all else fails and you need to ditch your current supplier and switch to a new one…
Listen, rate, & subscribe to the ‘China Manufacturing Decoded’ podcast on your favorite provider
There are more episodes to come, so remember to rate us and subscribe! You can find us on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Podcasts
- Listen Notes
- Podcast Addict
- The podcast’s website at China Manufacturing Decoded
If you enjoyed this episode, don’t forget to give us a 5* rating and share it with your network if you enjoy listening!