When sourcing a new contract manufacturer in China, what are the main questions buyers need to answer before agreeing to work together?
Renaud and Adrian cover 11 questions for buyers in this episode, especially those making electronic products (although much of this advice is relevant to many hard goods in general and suppliers in other Asian countries, too), in order to help you find a reliable and capable manufacturing partner.
Listen: to the podcast episode
Watch: on Youtube
- 00:00 – Greetings & today’s topic: Sourcing a CM in China for manufacturing electronic products.
- 02:10 – What is a contract manufacturer in comparison to other supplier types?
- 06:55 – 1. What will your order quantity be? (This influences the type of CM that is suitable)
- 09:43 – 2. Will you order a high-volume, low product mix setup, or the opposite?
- 12:24 – 3. Do you have visibility and transparency over the supply chain?
- 19:14 – 4. Will your Intellectual Property be protected, and how?
- 20:48 – 5. Will they be helping to develop your product and make it compliant?
- 23:51 – 6. What manufacturing processes does the CM have in-house?
- 27:45 – 7. What is the CM’s QC capability?
- 28:35 – 8. What kinds of tooling, fixtures, and jigs does the CM have for in-line testing?
- 29:37 – 9. Who has liability for safety and compliance issues?
- 31:00 – 10. What payment terms can they accept?
- 32:01 – 11. What delivery terms do they provide (incoterms)?
- 34:56 – Summary and wrapping up.
- OEM, ODM, Contract Manufacturers: Which Chinese Supplier To Choose?
- Typical Problems with Electronic Contract Manufacturers in China
- 6 best Practices When Working With Contract Manufacturers In China
- 6 Terms You Should Specifically Negotiate With Your Contract Manufacturer
- Using One Turnkey Manufacturer vs. Several Suppliers for China Production
- IP Protection in China when Developing Your New Product [Importer’s Guide]
- How To Create A Valid Manufacturing Contract In China To Protect Your IP
- Will A China NNN Agreement Protect Us If We Start Assembling Products There?
- How To Get Transparency And Control Over Your Supply Chain? [podcast]
- Explore Sofeast’s different Factory Audit Solutions
Listen, rate, & subscribe to the ‘China Manufacturing Decoded’ podcast on your favorite provider
More episodes are coming, so remember to rate us and subscribe! You can find us on:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Podcasts
- Listen Notes
- Podcast Addict
- The podcast’s website at China Manufacturing Decoded
If you enjoyed this episode, don’t forget to give us a 5* rating and share it with your network if you enjoy listening!